CS Lewis Quotes

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Multi-Tasking......

I quit.

I'm done.

I'm giving up on multi-tasking.

For years now (too many to count) I have been making myself crazy trying to do too many things at once. I'm taking a break. I don't want to cook dinner, watch the kids, help with homework, do laundry, bake cookies, clean out the car and check my e-mail all at the same time. Not anymore. I want to simplify......I want to do just one thing at a time. It's a new concept, I know, and for years I was like the Cat in the Hat....balancing kids, chores, husband, church, friends, etc., never having time for me, and if you've read the Cat in the Hat lately, you'll remember that it ended badly for him.

Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!

It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how!

I can hold up the cup
And the milk and the cake!
I can hold up these books!
And the fish on a rake!

I can hold the toy ship
And a little toy man!
And look!
With my tail, I can hold a red fan!

I can fan with the fan,
As I hop on the ball!
But that is not all.
Oh, no.That is not all...

That is what the cat said...
Then he fell on his head!
He came down with a bump
From up there on the ball

And Sally and I
We saw all the things fall!


I don't want to fall on my head!! I haven't dropped everything yet, but I have dropped a couple of things, and lately it seems like some things are more precariously balanced. So, I've decided that I'm not taking any chances.

Starting today I will do ONE THING AT A TIME! I will carefully and thoughtfully put everything down. (we don't want to break anything, you know!) Then I will carefully and thoughtfully pick up one thing, deal with it (clean it, cook it, wash it, answer it, help it, read it, etc.), put it down, then pick up another.

Who knows, maybe I'll be more relaxed, maybe I'll be more productive, maybe some things won't get done at all (the horror!), or maybe someone else will do them. Maybe, just maybe, some things don't even need doing! I'm more relaxed just thinking about it!

I realize that it won't be easy. It is, after all, an untested theory.....I don't honestly know if it's possible to do only one thing at a time. I may have to organize my time better. I may have to delegate some tasks, I may even have to say 'no' sometimes. But I'm willing to do whatever it takes. (I wonder if I could call it a study and get a government grant for research. Say, maybe a 10 year study of productivity?)

Please feel free to pick up my slack.....if you'd like to make dinner for my family one night a week so I can finish the latest Robin Cook novel, or if you'd like to paint my bathroom while I play Candyland with Sabian.....any and all help will be accepted and appreciated.

So, here's to the new me....next time you call, be assured that you will have my undivided attention. Unless someone else already has it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I almost believe you. It would be nice to see you simmer down to the one-thing-at-a-time mode but habits die hard! I wish you success in this lofty endeavor!

Jenna said...

Look at Liz,
Look at Liz!
Look at Liz now!

She is so organized
that I'm having a coW!

Games to play!
GOod things to say!
No more rhymes
in this head today!

Good idea to not multitask. The organizing guru Julie Morgenstern said that you are much LESS productive when you multitask. It was an impressive number like 100000 times better but I can't remember. Just know that I think you're doing the right thing!!!

And I don't even feel like I've been neglected.

The Family Rasheed said...

You are so wise! I would sponsore you,if I had the money to. Either way I will be eager to hear how it works out so that I may give it a try someday.

diane said...

Three cheers! I had to learn this lesson by falling down the stairs. Although I am blogging, eating and watching TV right now. My kind of multi-tasking

Polly said...

Is it possible to be a mom and not multitask? I wish I lived near you, I'd love to paint your bathroom. Painting is one of my favorite things because you get instant results. Robin Cook on the other hand to scary for me... I'll stick with cheesy vampire books.

Julia Roberts said...

I love the cat in the hat books. He is happy and ready to take on more and more stuff. But I guess we can learn a lesson from him...there is a breaking point. I am still trying to figure it out.