CS Lewis Quotes

Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday's 'Favorite Things'....

When I was a kid (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away) "The Sound of Music" was my favorite movie. I probably saw it 20 times....IN THE THEATER!! You have to remember that when I was a child we didn't watch a movie once and then wait for it to come out on video. There was no video. No DVDs, no VHS, no lots of other things (cassettes, Cd's, color TV, microwaves, air conditioning, etc......) but we could go to the movies.

There were several movies that, frankly, no one but my mother wanted to see. Because I was the youngest child, she had more pull with me than she did with my father, brothers and sister, so I was her 'movie buddy'. We saw "The Sound of Music", "Oliver", "My Fair Lady", "West Side Story" and "Doctor Zhivago" (not one of my favorites!)
There were also a few movies that my mother refused to go to, so my dad dragged me along to see those. Dad and I enjoyed such blockbusters as "Cool Hand Luke", "The Dirty Dozen", "The Great Escape", and anything starring John Wayne.
As I said, "The Sound of Music" was my all-time favorite, and in honor of that movie, and one of the songs that I wore out on my record player (ask your mother), I have decided to start a new Friday Blog called "A Few of My Favorite Things". I guess this first blog serves as both an introduction to my new themed blog as well as my first 'favorite things' blog: movies of the 60's.
My movies of the 60's blog wouldn't be complete without also listing a few of the flicks that I was privileged enough to see with my best friend, Julie, her little sister Therese, and my brother, Peter. I would link their blogs, but they are too (Pick one:) busy, important, indifferent, lazy, or technically challenged to have blogs.
Some of the movies we got to enjoy during the turbulent 60's are: "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", "Mary Poppins", "The Love Bug", "The Jungle Book", "Fantastic Voyage" and "The Gnome-Mobile". Classics, all! I wonder if NetFlix carries "The Gnome-Mobile"....somehow, I doubt it.
So if you're looking for some good family entertainment this weekend, there you go, a definitive list of some of the best movies the 60's had to offer.
Now, go pop some popcorn and make some memories!!

5 comments:

Annemarie said...

Do you remember the Friday night Disney movies at the church?

Being a teenager at the time, that probably wasn't such a big hit...you were probably hanging with Scott & Diane.

diane said...

I saw The Sound of Music in a theater too.
Do you remember seeing Jaws together with Julie and Therese during our trip to Chicago? That movie freaked me out. I still can't believe our parents put us on a Greyhound bus when we were so young.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see many movies as a child. There were no theatres where I grew up (no I didn't live in a cave) but I was the record queen. Every week the number 1 song came out on a 45 record (the little records) and on the back was some unknown song. I bought it every week for 99 cents. I had over 200 45's when I graduated from high school. It was an amazing collection which I was quite proud of. It would probably be worth some money now. Where is it? My dad threw them all away when I went to college. AHHHHHH.

Liz said...

To Diane: That trip to Chicago was awesome!! We sure had great parents, didn't we? (Or they just wanted to get rid of us for few days) Fun Times!!

To Cherie: I am horrified, stunned and speechless!! I cannot believe your record collection is gone! I am in mourning with you. I think we would have been great friends if we'd known each other in those days. I'm glad I know you now!

The Family Rasheed said...

I LOVE ALL of those movies too! I actually have The Gnome Mobile on VHS and still watch it! In fact Sound of Music is also one of my favs along with Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady,and Pollyanna!