CS Lewis Quotes

Thursday, June 5, 2008

S.M.A.R.T. Summer!

My kids are in trouble now! When I was reading one of my new favorite blogs, I was turned on to S.M.A.R.T. Goals. Apparently, this is a tool used by corporate america (and smart parents everywhere!) to encourage productivity. S.M.A.R.T. stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timed. There are many variations of this, of course, but you get the idea. So as I sit here with a houseful of people who think that they will spend the summer sleeping in, surfing the net, and playing video games, I am instead coming up with all kinds of ideas about how to have a more productive summer. Don't get me wrong, they can still have fun, I'm all about balance in life, I just plan to sit down with them and encourage them to set some SMART goals. For instance, Sam and Peter have Eagle Scout projects to finish, summer reading to do for school, and a room to clean. S.M.A.R.T. Goals, here we come!! Mary needs to finish her paperwork for college and get a job....S.M.A.R.T. Goals to the rescue! As for the rest of us, let's just say that I'm sure we could benefit from S.M.A.R.T. Goals as well. S.M.A.R.T. summer here we come! (I'll let you know how it works out!)

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Yea - I am thinking that my kids need some goals too - mixed with some good hard labor on the figurative rock pile. My goal is to finish my independent study class that I started more than a year ago. :)

Um, why yes, there is a one year time limit but I paid $20 to have the summer to finish it up.

Anonymous said...

You are a S.M.A.R.T. momma. We do lots of "stuff" in the summer and I try to keep them away from video games as much as possible. I would love to hear all your ideas.