CS Lewis Quotes

Friday, June 20, 2008

I like Ike!!





I mentioned in a previous post that Dwight D. Eisenhower was the POTUS from the time I was born until I was about 2 1/2. I can't say that I recall much about his presidency. But recently, I've been reading a book he wrote called "At Ease: Stories I tell to friends." It's an interesting read, and he really does tell a good story. Of special interest, however, is a magazine article that was tucked between the pages of the book. The article is from the March 1976 issue of "The American Legion Magazine". It's written by Frank Holeman and is entitled "The Secret of Ike's Grin". I couldn't find it online, but with the most excellent skills of 'My favorite Mary', (not to be confused with 'My favorite Martian') I was able to scan it and have it for you here:


The Secret of Ike's Grin

I love this article, I mean, if a man with all of his trials and tribulations can smile at the end of the day, so should we all. As I said at the beginning, I didn't really know Ike as a president, but through his book and this article I am getting to know him a little bit as the man that he was. And I say again:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that you like Ike. I wonder if Ike liked Pike? If he ever took a hike, stuck his thumb in a dike while riding a bike?

The Family Rasheed said...

Really the world would be a better place if everyone had the positive attitude Ike seemed to have had. I think I Like Ike, Too!

Mary said...

Oh!!! POTUS = President Of The United States.

wow that took longer than it should've.

The post turned out looking great momma! Awesome job!!

Mary said...

And wait a minute!! I just realized I was your favorite mary!! WOW that took longer than it should've as well. wow.

Jenna said...

Who is the poet? I like this post & think it would behoove us all to have gratitude at the end of the day - most of the times it just feels like exhaustion when there's plenty to be grateful for!!!

Anonymous said...

This is an inspiring post. It made me smile.

Did Jenna just use the word 'behoove'?