CS Lewis Quotes

Sunday, July 13, 2008

What was I thinking???

In my quest to be the 'World's Best Mom' I sometimes go a little overboard. This week I allowed Peter to convince me that he should buy a car. He had the money in the bank, made lots of promises he won't keep, and gave me that smile that I just can't resist. Besides, if it doesn't work out we can always sell it again! So, that being said......drum roll, please......here is Peter in his 'new' car!!! It's a 1963 Mercury Comet.

Yes, it's 30 years older than Peter.

No, he can't drive it...yet...it's '3 on the tree' and he hasn't quite mastered the whole shifting thing yet.

Yes, it does run. It has a little shimmy when it hits 40 mph, but that can be fixed, right?

No, he doesn't have a job to pay for gas, insurance, etc....but he's working on it. (He bought the car from the manager at the local Little Caesar's Pizza place so he's hoping for a hand-up on a job there!)

In the meantime, the car is in the garage. He spent 3 hours on it the first day cleaning it out...vacuuming, doing the windows, fixing the tear in the front seat (duct tape). It's looking pretty good! It really is in great shape for a 45 year old car! The second day I couldn't find Peter anywhere.....he was sitting in the garage in his car, apparently taking a 'virual road trip'. So, needless to say, Peter is a happy boy. And I just may be in the running for 'Mother-of-the-Year'! At least for today.

6 comments:

diane said...

We have the same minivan, even the same color...we're so cool!

Jenna said...

Wow...You are a pretty terrific mom! I don't think I can compete on this one. If I tried, I think I would farkle. :)

Mary said...

You are crazy. What were you thinking?

But ah well. Maybe this will be the project that will finally teach him to follow through on his obligations and teach him the value of hard work.

I suggest getting mighty putty to fix some of the more. . . difficult spots. Billy Mays says it fixes everything big and small.

Anyway. . . yeah, if hopes and dreams were cookies and creams, then he'd probably follow through effortlessly.

Anonymous said...

Sooo cool. Who is Mary to spout off about the value of hard work? Last I heard she's never had a job...

The Family Rasheed said...

That was nice of you!!!! I think it's a great idea and a great project for a teenage boy!!!! Plus when he can drive you won't have to taxi him anymore!!!!

MARCIE said...

Great car! I was Peter's age when that car came out new! Ha! Mike thinks the tail lights are very cool, altho came from a chevy. By the way, Peter looks pretty cute too!