CS Lewis Quotes

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Making memories....

I'm of the opinion that memories are made in the little things. Sure, the kids would remember a trip to Disneyland/World, whatever (not that we've ever taken one....okay, maybe when Eleanor & Laura were 4 and 2 1/2, and I don't think they remember!), but I think it's really the little stuff that we sometimes don't even think about that they really remember.

For example, when my kids were younger, we took Eleanor, Laura and Jacob to the cannery. (They were the only ones old enough to go at the time, Jacob was probably 12.) They still talk about how fun that was and wish that we could have done it more often. They talk about our summer days at Powder Springs Pool a little community pool where we spent our summers during the years we lived in Atlanta. They remember playing behind the elementary school across the street from our house, 4-square in the street, the pile of dirt that was in our backyard for years, jumping in the sprinkler, riding bikes, playing with the neighbor kids, making cookies, etc.

I guess my point is that memories don't cost a lot of money, but they do require time, effort and patience. It took time for me to load up all the kids (and half the neighborhood) and go to the pool all the time. It took me being outside with them (instead of inside doing chores) to help them learn how to ride bikes. It took a lot of behind the scenes looking out for them to let them have the freedom of ruling the neighborhood the way they did when they were younger. It took patience to let them build a mud bath in the dirt mound and play in the mud because I knew I was going to have to hose them off and that laundry was going to be a pain. It was a lot of work, but they have great memories of those days.

And now, with the next generation, I get to do it again. Tonight, when I was making the gourmet dinner of French Toast and Sausages, I tried to be patient when Sirius and Sabian pushed chairs up and 'helped' me. Because I knew that we were making more than dinner, we were making memories. I hope that someday, when Eleanor has her own place, her kids have fond memories of the days they lived at 'Abuela and Grandpa's house'. I hope they remember the nights when mommy was at work and we went to the Neely Farm pool and stayed until they closed. I hope they remember the nights we had 'game night' and played Mouse Trap, and Dominos, and Battleship. I hope they remember Grandpa taking them for walks, and going to feed the ducks in the pond, and playing at the park, and Grandpa telling them bedtime stories. I hope they remember Family Home Evening and singing 'Do as I'm doing'. I hope they remember hanging out with Sam, Peter, Jacob and Mary, watching tv and playing video games.

I hope they remember it all. I know I will.


7 comments:

Jenna said...

What great pics of kids in the pool - you are great at memory making. Sometimes my days just get away from me & all my kids will remember me by is sitting in front of the computer or sorting papers... So let's go to Six Flags tomorrow, huh?

diane said...

Let's here it for making memories!

Anonymous said...

you're deep

The Family Rasheed said...

I agree. All the memories I have are of the little things. We went to Disneyland twice as a family when I was young and I don't remember wither trip very well. I do remember making mud pies, swimming in the pool, and camping. Those are the best memories for me. I am sure your grandchildren will remember too.

Jenna said...

You know, the memories that I have from being young almost all involve flooding the ditch in the front yard and chasing water-skeeters in the water/grass. Loved it when I was young - not so crazy about the flooded water when I was older. (ADD (a ding-dong) moment - when Scott asked me to marry him, he had to carry me across the yard & water to go inside & show my mom the ring.)

Mary said...

I hope so too, mom.

MARCIE said...

Your grandkids are darling Liz. I hope they remember all you do for them also. I doubt that my kids remember all that Grandma Patch did for them, but they do remember how good it felt to be with her and how much she loved them. In the end that's what we really want. Memories fade, feelings endure. But, they will love going back to read what you wrote about them! Good job!