CS Lewis Quotes

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Summer....

Summer is fast approaching. Sam is already done with school. Peter has just 8 more days. I'm starting to panic.

My kids idea of a perfect summer is unlimited video games, pool time, and sleep. I like summer to be just a little more productive than that. Last year I tried to have a S.M.A.R.T. summer. It flopped. I'm not sure what to do this year. We do have several activities planned. Scout camp and things like that, but we will still have plenty of down time. I have learned over the years that too much down time leads to kids that are cranky, argumentative, and bored.

So, I'm coming to you for help. What can I do (or have my kids do) that will be fun, productive and inexpensive? Any ideas??

4 comments:

Annemarie said...

It's a fine line...you want them to be kids and have the downtime they don't usually get these days, but you want them to stay productive.
I got nothin'. I'm doing my best to figure out the answer.

Peter said...

Is ther a local Habitat for Humanity?

diane said...

I like Peter's suggestion. My kid has so many summer assignments for AP classes that she won't have much down time. She has to read two books and write a bunch of papers. College bound...no choice.

You could have your boys run a day camp for little kids. Brynn has friends that do this for two weeks and make a bundle of $. They do Princess camp and then a prince camp. I think they charge 20$ a day and they have a daily theme, do crafts and make bank. They have to turn kids away each year. Brilliant.

Travelin'Oma said...

I used to give my boys summer projects like finishing a room in the basement, or painting their rooms (they got to choose the color and design.) One summer we bought a very beat-up VW that didn't run and my son took apart the motor and put it back together. It worked!