CS Lewis Quotes

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Delete.....

I deleted someone from my life the other day......to be honest, I deleted several someones. The relationships just weren't working for my anymore.

When I first got into 'blogging', I was on a roll. I went skipping from blog to blog looking for something interesting. I would read the blog of a friend, then the blogs belonging to friends-of-that-friend. I was insatiable. I collected blogs of interest: cooking blogs, quilting blogs, preparedness blogs, crafts-for-kids blogs.....well, you get the idea. I was a blog-a-holic. I even blogged about my budding blog addiction here.

I realized that I had a problem when I had to check my blog list every day. I would get mad at the kids for wanting to get on the computer, wanting dinner, wanting to be driven to school. Selfish children.....couldn't I have a few minutes peace to check my blogs!! I was spending more than 30 minutes of my time every day checking the blogs of people I don't even know!!

Granted, I do feel like some of these people have become my friends. I comment on their blogs, they comment on mine. We're friends on Facebook now, and even e-mail once in a while. But many of the blogs I read, too many, were just time wasters. I realized that with all the millions of blogs out there, no matter how interesting and informative they may be, they were still just time wasters.

So, it was time for them to go. Most of them, I couldn't remember why I started reading them in the first place. They'll never know they've been deleted from my life. There will be no hurt feelings. I've kept the ones that I find most interesting, and the ones where I feel like we've developed a friendship. But the list is much shorter now.

If only it were that easy in the real world. Delete the relationships that don't work (with no hurt feelings!) Free ourselves of obligatory relationships. And only keep the ones that bring us joy.

I feel better having cleaned out my blog list. And maybe now, my kids will get to school on time!

(No.....this is NOT about you....I love you, and hope that we are friends forever!!)

6 comments:

Annemarie said...

I have to clean house every once in a while, too. It feels great, doesn't it?

diane said...

Spring cleaning is a good thing. It helps me clear the cobwebs from my mind.

I'm so vain, I probably thought this post was about me.

Jenna said...

I always think the posts are about me! Since I don't update very often anymore, maybe I missed the chopping block!!!

peter said...

I'm never quite able to delete - so I dilute...

MARCIE said...

This is so funny. I do that from time to time also. I never have enough time in the day as it is. In fact it is an effort to even write on my blog. But I force myself to do it once a week. Some people write every day. How do they do that? Blogs are fun and even interesting, but it is good to set limits. My blog list shows that I have 960 unread entries. I don't even care anymore. It used to really bother me. Good thinking Liz!

The Family Rasheed said...

whew, I'm glad I made the list!!!!