CS Lewis Quotes

Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day! (not MAYDAY!!)

May Day. Not to be confused with MAYDAY!! It is NOT a cry for help or a signal of distress. Simply a celebration of May. It used to have more historical significance....and if you really care you may read up on it here, but I sincerely doubt you'll bother.

May 1st. May Day. How many of you remember, or ever celebrated May Day? For those of you younger than me, May Day is May 1st. It is generally celebrated by dancing around the Maypole and hanging May Baskets on people's doorknobs. When I was small, I remember making little baskets and filling them with flowers or notes, then doing the ding-dong-ditch to my neighbors and surprising them with May Day greetings.

Growing up in Minnesota, May Day was also a sort of end-of-winter celebration as well. We were usually done with snow by May 1st. Spring had sprung and we were ready for the flowers to bloom and the temperature to finally make it's way above 40. May in Minnesota is a re-birth.

Having lived in the South for over 20 years now, I'd forgotten. Spring comes early in the South and stays late! By the time May rolls around, the Dogwoods are done blooming, people have gardens planted and producing, and that one day of snow we had in January or February is long forgotten.


I think I appreciated May more when I lived in Minnesota. May was a hint....a promise of the brief summer season that was fast approaching. It was the promise of June, the freedom from school for a season and chasing fireflies in the early evening. The promise of a never-ending July of fireworks and swimming and fishing at the lake house. The promise of August. Family vacations and camping out under the stars. A time for making memories.


So, Happy May Day!! I hope all your dreams of summer come true. Now go hang a May Basket on someone's door and make their day!!

3 comments:

Peter said...

I think if you hung a basket on a door, ran the doorbell-and ran, that homeland security might become involved. Ahh, the good ole days...

Polly said...

You forgot to mention that in May the lilacs bloom in Minnesota! Do kids even know what May Day is? I just asked Jack what your supposed to do on May Day and he had a pretty good idea, he said celebrate spring. I love spring in Minnesota too, for all the same reasons as you. You should read Becky's blog about being in the Mpls. airport, it is pretty cute. http://skippingabout.blogspot.com/2009/04/wheres-home-for-you.html

The Family Rasheed said...

Peter is funny! Anyway, I remember doing may day in grade school, but after that it fizzled out. Sad really, cause who doesn't like a reason to give and recieve flowers!