CS Lewis Quotes

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Video Games.......


Okay, so I got this package in the mail yesterday. My birthday is on Sunday. I figured that it might be a birthday gift so I briefly considered not opening it until Sunday. That lasted about 15 seconds. After all, maybe it wasn't a birthday gift, maybe it was.......umm.....ummm...... something else that needed to be opened immediately.


Turns out it was a birthday gift. From my brother, Peter. He sent me a Wii Fit. I have been wanting to try one for a while now, and oh, my gosh, is it ever fun!!


I realize, of course, that I'm old, and that video games are typically for the young, but I happen to like video games. To me, video games are the great equalizer between me and my kids. I mean, really, I used to be able to run faster than my kids, beat them at arm wrestling, do more sit-ups, push ups, etc. Those days are long gone. They can outlast, outrun, outplay me anyday. Not so with video games. In video games I can actually challenge my kids on a level playing field.


I'm really good at Brain Age (a mother's day gift from two of my boys), pretty good at Mario Kart (one of my favorites!), not bad at the 'old school' Sonic games, and I've been working on my drumming skills on Rock Band (I've still got a ways to go on that one!)


Now that I (we) have Wii Fit, we have even more challenges to do together. We've had it less than 24 hours and so far Jacob has the high score on the Ski Jump and Ski Slalom, Sam is best at Soccer Heading and Tight Rope Walk, and I hold the high score in Table Tilt and Hula Hoop. Yes, we've already logged quite a bit of time on the Wii Fit.


Now if I could only find the time to get the laundry done.

5 comments:

diane said...

What a fun gift. Now if they could just make a Wii laundry edition.

Annemarie said...

I have been wanting to try one of those. It sounds like a blast!

I stink at the drums...I have Sam work the pedals for me.

Robert Brault said...

I'm a Wii Sports addict myself. My 8-year-old grandson whomps me at bowling (which is okay) but it's really embarrassing that he beats me at golf (my game). I'm not one to let kids win, either. I figure my self-esteem is just as important as theirs.

Nice, breezy article, Liz. Erma Bombeck would be proud.

smiles,
rb

Liz said...

rb--Erma Bombeck!! Really!! Thanks for the ego boost!
--Liz

Polly said...

We have a Wii fit also and I was really good at first going on everyday to do yoga and strengthening exercises. Now it has been way too long, maybe today I'll start again. What a nice brother you have. I hope you had a great birthday.