CS Lewis Quotes

Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Halloween Story.......

A long time ago (think early 70's) I was involved in the youth group at my church. (Minneapolis First Ward anyone??) The youth group was for youth from 12-18 year olds and, at the time, was known as MIA. This stood for Mutual Improvement Association. Today it is simply known as 'Mutual'.

One year, as Halloween approached, it was decided that we would have a Halloween Party (or maybe it was a dance......I'm old, you know, I can't remember ALL the details...) We had decorations, games, food and fun. Some of the girls made cookies, some made pies, some made cupcakes. My friend Julie and I were in charge of carameled apples. Yummy!!

I guess we were maybe 14 or so at the time. And there were some boys that we wanted to impress. Or maybe we just wanted to get back at them for something. I don't recall which. We decided to make some 'special' carameled apples just for them. Two of the boys in question were Tommy Russell and Kenny Killebrew. We had known Tommy since we were toddlers. Kenny was fairly new to our group, but had been there long enough that he, too, deserved a 'special treat'.

When it came time to serve the treats Julie and I made sure to give the biggest and best carameled apples to Tommy and Kenny. They were thrilled that we would have saved the biggest ones for them. Until, that is, they bit into them.




You know.....you really can't tell a carameled apple from a carameled onion until you bite into it!!

Oops!! Sorry, boys.



3 comments:

Annemarie said...

Genius. Pure genius.

diane said...

I agree you are brilliant.
So Tommy must be R Sherman's kid. He gave me my Pat. Blessing. Probably did yours too. Kenny must be Harmon's son.
I will share this idea with my daughter to pass along the fun.

Rebecca said...

HAHA! I bet they just LOVED that. Great story and great idea. Thanks for sharing! :)