CS Lewis Quotes

Monday, October 6, 2008

And the Gold Medal Winner is.........

This blog was inspired by this blog. My friend's husband apparently has a thing about running in marathons. I think that's an amazing thing. It takes a special person with a special personality to run marathons. My oldest son is currently training to run a half-marathon later in the month. And my youngent son is in the middle of the Cross Country season at his high school and loves to run. Me?? Not so much.


But lest I become discouraged and think that I am 'out of the running' as a medal contender.....I've decided to do something about it.


I am NOT taking up running. What kind of fool do you think I am, anyways?? No, I've decided to create a few new medal categories just for women like me all over the globe. It will be called the Homemaker Games. Maybe it will even be more fun for us if we consider what we do every day 'competition'.



My first category is laundry. I will get a bronze medal for even thinking about doing laundry as that in itself tires me out. If I actually do any, I will qualify for the silver. I get gold for being caught up. There will very few gold medals given out in this event.






Next will be cooking. Feeding my family on a daily basis will earn a bronze (even if dinner happens to be Cheerios.) If I plan a menu and refer to it on occasion I will earn the silver. Planning a monthly menu, purchasing ahead of time and actually following said plan will be a gold medal performance. (again, these will be few and far between)



Another category could be children. If a day goes by where I don't threaten any of them with bodily harm I get a bronze. A day with everyone out the door on time, in clean clothes and jeans with no holes in the knees and their hair combed gets me a silver. If I survive the homework wars without thoughts of military school dancing in my head, homework actually gets finished, and the child is still speaking to me when we're done. I get the gold. I've NEVER gotten a gold.



The final category is ME. If I shower before 10 AM I get the bronze. If I shower, remember my prayers and do personal scripture study I get the silver. If I happen to do all of the above and still get the kids in bed early enough to have some 'me' time to relax in the evenings (and then actually spend the time on me, reading a book, bubble bath, whatever, instead of doing dishes/laundry, then I earn the gold.






You will note that in all categories the gold is hard to earn. It takes practice and patience. You will also note that there is NO competition between me and anyone else. They are all individual events. (Molly Mormon is in her own over-achiever category which I don't even qualify to enter!)


Let the games begin!!

6 comments:

Jenna said...

Wow! I would be lucky to get the Bronze. ... think I better really take up running!!!

Annemarie said...

You are hilarious! This is a great post. I hope I can medal in something around here this week!

Anonymous said...

I also think I might have more luck with running. You would win the gold in being a good friend who always makes me smile. Why don't you add that category?

diane said...

I love this! You are brilliant.
I cooked two days in a row. At my house that earns a gold!

MARCIE said...

Personally I don't have a competitive bone in my body. I might really achieve something if I did, but I don't want to waste too many brain cells thinking about that.

The Family Rasheed said...

oh, how fun! What a great motivator! I should try this!