CS Lewis Quotes

Friday, February 20, 2009

Street Creds......

What does it take for an artist/musician to have 'street creds'? Is it the tattoos? The gold tooth? The number of arrests? Or women? Or cars? Or fights? Is it the 'Bling'? The way they walk? Or talk? Do you have to be 'ghetto' to have street creds? I've never quite understood it.

I've never paid much attention to L.L. Cool J. Had you asked me, I probably wouldn't even have been able to tell you what kind of musician he is. Not that I didn't like him, I just wasn't familiar with him or his music. (To tell you the truth, I'm still not!) The same is true for a lot of other musicians as well..... James Blunt, Hootie and the Blowfish, REM, Goo Goo Dolls, Chris Brown. I had heard of these artists, and listened to some of their music, but really didn't give them much thought.

So why would I list them together like this? There is a variety of music represented here. Well, here's the connection that gives them all 'street creds' in my book. 'Sesame Street' creds, anyways. They have all appeared/performed on Sesame Street. Now, they may have their faults, and maybe I don't like some of their music or lyrics or whatever else.....but you can't be ALL bad if you've been on Sesame Street!! How tough can you be if you hang out with muppets? To me, any grown man who can get down on a kid's level and sing with Elmo and the gang, must have some good in them.

So, there you have it.....my list of musicians/artists with some real 'street creds'.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I definelty agree with you! I adore the fact that L.L. Cool J was on Sesame Street. In my humble opinion, sesame street is the apex of "making it". Forget Letterman, if you can land a spot with elmo, you have arrived! I think L.L. is adorable in his little spot with elmo. Soo cute.

Annemarie said...

I love that Sesame Street knows how to entertain adults, as well as kids!

Jessica said...

It's my favorite show to watch with my kids. (Not that I do because TV time for kids equals quiet time for me...)

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the muppets.