CS Lewis Quotes

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

In memory of Robert Clayton Patch

I got word yesterday that my Uncle Bob had passed away. He was 87 years old. He was my Dad's oldest brother. You can read his obituary here.

Uncle Bob was one of my favorite uncles. Our families didn't spend much time together when I was growing up, as we lived in Minnesota and he in Utah, but the times we did spend together stand out in my memories.

I always felt welcome in his home, even when I dropped by unannounced, which I did more than once when I was attending college in Utah. One time, when I was struggling with which major to choose, and was leaning toward Philosophy (much to my father's dismay!) I went to visit Uncle Bob at his office at BYU, where he was a professor for many years. He acted as if he had all the time in the world for me. We talked about school and philosophy and I left his office loaded down with books on the subject.

Uncle Bob was one of those people who always made me feel like he was glad to see me. He never talked down to me when I was little, as some adults did. He always treated me and spoke to me as an equal. Impressive, since I could NEVER hope to measure up to him! He was one of the most intelligent men I have ever known. He was an unmatched scriptorian, an avid genealogist, and a devoted family man.

He will be greatly missed.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

I am sorry to hear of his passing - he sounds like a really great person.

MARCIE said...

Very nice comments Liz. He certainly was an impressive man and one I would have liked to know better. Hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving at your house!

diane said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm thankful to have reconnected with you.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Polly said...

all I can say is wow! I read the obituary and thought "how can we possibly be related?" 4 missions, values education, tons of kids and grandkids, pretty cool. I think we missed out having all the Patch's migrate to Utah.