CS Lewis Quotes

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Thoughts on Mortality.......


Written By Lizabeth Armbruster on September 19th, 2009

_____________________________________

At what point in your life do you start wondering if you'll still be around for your next birthday?



Is it when you hear the doctor say the word 'cancer'?



Is it when you start 'getting up there' in age?



Is it when a guy in your office dies unexpectedly of a heart attack at 50?



I don't mean to spread gloom and doom. I'm not trying to be morbid. It's just something that's been on my mind. At what point in your life do you realize that any upcoming birthdays may be limited in number?



I have an aunt that I visited with recently. She told me that she'll be 91 on her next birthday. Obviously, she plans to be around for it. But is she planning on being here in 5 years? 10? She must certainly know that her time is limited.



I have a friend who recieved a diagnosis of cancer last year. At the time, she was 54. It was pronounced 'very aggressive' and needed immediate treatment. Did she wonder if she'd be here for her 55th? (By the way, she underwent the aggressive treatment and is doing great!)



A man I know at church just underwent a quadruple by-pass. He is probably in his late 50's early 60's. Did he wonder if he'd make it through the surgery?



I turned 51 this year. I realize that to some of you that's fairly young. (Though some of you probably think it's pretty old, too!) I, myself, think that 51 is young. Then I remember that my mother was only 2 years older than I am now when she died of cancer. And that makes me feel old. I consider how quickly the years have flown. And wonder what I've done with them. I remember some of them quite clearly....others not so much. And I realize that my time is limited. I'm pretty sure that I have at least another good 30 years or so. Maybe even 40. But I know I'm on the downhill side of the slope.

_____________________________________


_________________________________________________________________

(This post was written by my mother exactly 10 days before she passed away. I found it as a draft, and decided to post it for her, for all of you. I think the Lord prepares us for things we don't see coming, in ways that we never realize until we look back upon them. I'm greatful that she had written this, and hope that it provides as much comfort for you as it has for me.
Much love, Mary)

5 comments:

Daisy-Winifred said...

I was a long time lurker on your mum's blog, loved the gentle energy and clearly honest way she expressed herself. I do not turn my computer on every day so this is the day Ifound out about her deathand wish to say thank you for sharing this draft. I think you are right each of us if we have open heart and mind can be given moment to find meaning of days to come and I feel sure your Mum understood this more than many people.
I do not share the faith that you and your family hold dear and clear but I send you good thoughts and light and wish for you all sense of peace and continuing understanding of love.

Robert Brault said...

Mary,

This is a remarkable bit of prescience and insight. It suggests that the inevitable never comes unexpected to a thoughtful human being. Thanks for sharing.

smiles,
rb

Mary said...

Much thanks to you, Daisy for your kind words and good thoughts. And many appreciations for the sentiments of peace and love.

Robert Brault- I seem to be unable to call you by anything other than your full name. My mother always said "Robert Brault says this" or "On Robert Brault's blog . . ." and I think the habit has stuck. Anyway, I definitely appreciate your insight and your comment here.

Jenna said...

Oh my goodness! This is SO wonderful and insightful. Thank you Mary so much for sharing this. I am so amazed that she wrote this down, talked to you about her mother's early death, went to Minnesota to see her family, and sent you to Atlanta for a most excellent (though sad) adventure. Robert Brault is right - and says it all much better than I.

I loved your mom more than words can express. Thank you for sharing this.

Amanda (Jackson) La Hue said...

Mary,
You most likely do not remember me. I was a friend of your sister, Laura's. My name is Amanda Jackson (LaHue, now) and my mother Nancy was friends with your mom. I believe they had worked together some time before you were born. Laura was a dear friend of mine when we were very young and we lost touch when you guys went to Minnesota (I believe that's where you moved when you left Georgia - please correct me if I'm wrong). I came across this on a sort of "Facebook Stalking" episode I suppose. I was putting my daughter down for her nap, and as I was rocking her I was thinking of times when I was little and I remembered Laura and your family very fondly. So, when she went to sleep, I started poking around on Facebook for Laura. When I realized there were quite a few and she may be married and I didn't know her name, I decided to Google instead - and of course came across this instead. I am so terribly sorry to hear of your loss, and I'm sure I can express condolences from my mother as well. This was devastating to read, but I'm sure doesn't touch what you guys have been through. This post from your mother is amazing. I suppose its true that the Lord prepares us for all things. Please let me know if there is anything at all that I can do for you guys and also pass along my email address to Laura. Its amandalahue@ymail.com. May God bless you and your family with peace, love, and healing.