CS Lewis Quotes

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Captive Audience........

Even though we flew out to Utah for our trip, we spent innumerable hours in a car together. On our first day, after a 2 hour flight to Houston and a 3 hour flight to Salt Lake, we rented a car, stuffed in 14 bags and 7 people and drove 4 hours to Cedar City. Beyond that, we had to drive almost everywhere we went. Up Cedar Canyon, down to Zion's National Park, over to Parawon Gap. We put 1400 miles on the rental car in a week's time.

All that time in the car makes for some interesting conversations. Here are some of the topics that were batted around as we racked up the miles:

Freckles. Mesa vs. Plateau. Hairy legs. Spiderman vs. Batman. Tumbleweeds. Mountains. President Obama. Smelly feet. Harry Potter. Dust devils. Climbing ability. Cloud shapes (elephants, sharks, etc.) Wild horses. Music. Personal taste in music (or the lack thereof.) Cemetaries. Motorcycles. Smelly feet. Miley Cyrus. Crypt burial vs. in-ground burial. Rock slides. Ironman. And my personal favorite: What is succotash? And why is it 'sufferin'?

There were also the inevitable 'sing-alongs'. Joe and I were serenaded by everything from the 'Full House' theme song, to Whitney Houston, Enrique Iglesias, Michael Jackson (and the Jackson 5), Goo Goo Dolls, Train, James Taylor, Beach Boys, and Toni Braxton. I have video, but am under oath not to post it. (You can thank me later.)

All things considered, I think I came out of this experience fairly sane. Truth be told, we had a blast. I think the kids will remember this trip for a long time.

Now if only I could get that song out of my head.

4 comments:

Peter said...

Smelly feet? If Mary would only wash them... Who won - crypt or burial? And who is Train?

Annemarie said...

The conversation topics kill me. You are right...you will all remember this with laughs!

Jenna said...

What a fun recap of your trip! Your bigs are fun to travel with. My kids buried their heads in the DVD player & we traveled with Finding Nemo, Elf & other films keeping us company.

Polly said...

The best memories are made on road trips! I'm glad you got to see some of the family too!