CS Lewis Quotes

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Call Your Mother!!!

Stop whatever you're doing right now and call your mother!

Early morning. Blog surfing.

I was catching up on some blogs that I'd missed while on vacation. In one of them, this young mom was talking about friendship. Specifically, women and the bond of friendship. It was when she said that she chatted with her mom about the topic that I unexpectedly lost it.

My mother died when I was 19. That means she's been gone more than 30 years. You'd think that I'd be over it by now, but no, when I read that line about my friend chatting with her mom about something I started bawling. Sitting at the computer, early Sunday morning, crying my eyes out because of all the missed 'mom' conversations.

I hate that I don't have a mom to talk to about things.

I hate that I can't call my mother when something important.......exciting.........tragic.........scary........mundane
happens in my life.

I hate it when other people take their mothers for granted. Mothers should NEVER be taken for granted. They are a privilege, a blessing, a gift. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but your mother WILL NOT always be there.

Your mom may not be perfect (guess what....you're not either!) But she is your mom. And she did the best she could. So, take a minute. Call your mom. Tell her your sorry for any heartache you've caused over the years. For all the gray hairs you put on her head. And tell her you love her. She deserves that much.

4 comments:

Annemarie said...

Thanks Liz. This was a great reminder! I will do it!!

diane said...

I loved your mom too. I'll call my mom tomorrow. She'd freak if I called at this hour. Your kids are lucky to have you.

My mom said she saw Katie and Kristen recently. She loved catching up with them.

Emma said...

Oh Liz, I need my mom so much and I can't even imagine going through all of these mothering challenges (I know, I only have a 3 year old and a baby right now- I've got a long way to go) without having her to help me through it. And without her support, advice, and encouragement. She is one of my best friends. Thanks for reminding me of that.

On another note, CALL MY MOM when you need a mom!

Love- Emma

jennie said...

Lizzie, nobody has gotten over the loss of your mom, and we never will. She was wonderful and I still miss her too & so does the rest of the family. I am greatful that you are in my life & not to far away I love you and wish you would come visit me! I was sad when Laura told me you were coming down and I didn't get to see you too.
xoxo j