CS Lewis Quotes

Friday, June 26, 2009

Validation.....

Validate:

1. to make valid; substantiate; confirm: Time validated our suspicions.

2. to give legal force to; legalize.

3. to give official sanction, confirmation, or approval to, as elected officials, election procedures, documents, etc.: to validate a passport.

I've been thinking a lot about the word 'validate' lately. Validate. Validation. Validated. Validating.

It started when Mary had jury duty. We were discussing where she should park when she went downtown and I commented that she should probably park in the court approved lot because then the court would most likely 'validate' her parking stub.

I then started to think of all the things we 'validate'......

--parking stubs

--passports

--legal documents

And then I began to wonder why we validate parking but we don't validate each other.......why don't we validate our friends, neighbors, family members? While thinking about this, I came across this video. It's kind of long, but WELL WORTH watching.





By the way......I think you're awesome!!

5 comments:

Robert Brault said...

Liz,

Really enjoyed the clip -- and stuck with it, although your site's background music makes in kind of hard to hear at times. Yes, I guess we're all looking for validation, especially us bloggers.

I'm pleased to see C.S. Lewis in your quote block, a favorite guru of mine and certainly the best Christian apologist ever. That reminds me that Ken Devine, the Brit artist who visits my site, is an admirer of Gordon B. Hinckley and, I think, an LDS himself. I think you'd enjoy his blog, if you haven't visited yet.

I left another comment under "Memory Lane", a GREAT piece!

smiles,
rb

Liz said...

Rb,
You're supposed to hit the 'pause' button on the background music while you listen to the clip!
I have visited Ken's site, and enjoyed my visit very much!
--Liz

Jenna said...

So far I'm only 5 minutes in but I'm still hanging in there & finding it amazing. And my experiences at the DMV validate his experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Jenna said...

Wow! That was amazing - and so are you! Thanks for posting thought-provoking words that make me pause & think every single blog post.

I think that you should give up twitter because it's witty & brief (like underwear)- definitely necessary. I have a twitter thing on my address bar in firefox, very handy. Have you tried?

Liz said...

rb,
Thanks for the validation!

Jenna,
You're awesome, too! But I'm confused...you think I SHOULD give up twitter??
--liz