CS Lewis Quotes

Monday, June 1, 2009

Dreams.....

Seven words that make me want to run from the room....

"So I had this dream last night...."

I secretly HATE, (yes, HATE!) to listen to people's dreams.

When I share a dream with someone, it's usually a two or three liner: "I had this weird dream. So-and-so shot himself. I wonder where that came from." And then I'm done. I move on with my life.

When other people share dreams with me they D-R-A-G on interminably. Just the other morning my husband started to share his dream with me (I can blog about this because I know he doesn't read my blog!) Something about govenment conspiracies and death taxes. And on. And on. And on. After 20 minutes I interrupted him.......

Me: You know....my dreams are usually a lot shorter than this.
Him: Yeah, I know, it was a really long dream!

10 minutes later.....

Me: I usually don't remember much about my dreams once I'm awake.
Him: Sometimes that happens to me, too.

another 15 minutes later.......

Me: Maybe you should just write a book.

I try to be patient. I really do. But you can never accurately describe the feelings, emotions, and drama of a dream. It's one of those "you had to be there" things. Unless I happen to have the same dream I'm just not going to get it. No matter how long you drag it out.

I try to seem interested. But I'm really planning dinner menus in my head and wondering how much mulch it's going to take to do the back yard area.

I'm not sure how Joe's dream ended. I hope it ended happily, but with government conspiracies one can never be sure. He lost me when he started talking about drug lords and secret bank accounts.

I wish everyone sweet dreams. But please, don't share them with me.

3 comments:

diane said...

So I guess you're not a fan of the song I Dreamed a Dream from Les Mis.

You crack me up. I feel that way when my husband is talking about anything to do with running, triathlons and his race schedule. It's a big yawn. Makes me want to take a nap...so, I had this dream...

Jessica said...

Me either! I even hate when books have dream seqences--the whole time I'm thinking, "You are using this to do WHATEVER you want with it!"

I get so bored.

Polly said...

My kids love to tell me looooong dream stories. I try to be patient because Mrs. Piggle Wiggle always let the kids tell her their dreams. Although I dreamt this week that a rabid deer was in my house, did I mention I live in Montana and my yard is full of deer!