CS Lewis Quotes

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sunrise, Sunset.........














I'm feeling very 'Fiddler on the Roof' today. I seems like just recently I had a houseful of little ones. Today, my youngest daughter and my youngest son had a birthday. Mary is 21 now, and Peter is 16. (Yes, they share a birthday. We couldn't figure out what to give Mary the year she turned 5, so we gave her a brother. They call each other 'birthday buddies')

When did this happen!?

How did this happen!?

Oh, I know that people told me it would happen.

'Enjoy them while they're small.' '

They grow up so fast.'

Of course, I didn't believe them. Those toddler years seemed to last forever. I had 6 children in 10 years. Chaos was status quo back then. It was like living in the eye of the storm. Looking back I'm not sure how I survived it. My life today seems almost boring.

I miss the days of little ones underfoot. I miss the sticky kisses and the skinned knees. Nowadays, my boys tower over me and I'm dealing with broken legs and collarbones. (Trust me, the skinned knees were easier!)

But they grew up, with or without my permission. So, Mary....Peter.....this song (or at least a part of it) is for you......


Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?

I don't remember growing older
When did they?
When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?

Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?

Sunrise, sunset Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years

One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears

Happy Birthday, birthday buddies! I love you bunches and bunches! Hope you have a great day!

4 comments:

Peter too said...

Happy Birthday to the "buddies"! Does this mean Peter has a license now?

Mary said...

You want me to skin my knee?! No way! That would hurt! What, are you a crazy person?!?! Now, if you want sticky kisses, you probably need to invest in popsicles. Not the pop pops, but the kind that comes on a stick.

And I kind of had that feeling at the soccer game when I saw that kid playing in the sand getting all dirty. I wished I was brave enough to sit down and play in the dirt with him. I used to do that all the time! But I like my clothes and respect the state of your van seats, so I didn't want to make a mess.

Polly said...

thanks for making me cry!

The Family Rasheed said...

People have often said to cherish these crazy days when my children are young...I keep thinking, how is it possible to miss the chaos when everyday I can't wait for bedtime so I can enjoy some peace and quiet?