CS Lewis Quotes

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Stash.....

I come by it honestly. "The Stash." I got it from my mother. My mother would buy gifts FAR in advance of when she would need them.

By the time the that Kristin and Jennie, the two oldest granddaughters, were 2 years old, my mother had dresses stashed for them that were sizes 6-8.

"But, mom..", I'd say, "they're only 2!! Why are you buying a size 6?"

"Oh", she'd reply, "these dresses are so adorable! And besides, they'll grow into them!"
She would also buy presents for other people's children. Just because. She would buy dresses, or hair ribbons or outfits or other surprises. Just for fun.

So I guess you could say that my gift of Stash was inherited.

When my kids were small, I'd shop the after Christmas sales and stock up on 'friend presents'. That way, when someone got invited to a birthday party and needed a gift we'd just go to my closet and pick something out. I had puzzles, games, toys....I always figured it was better to spend ahead and get 80-90% off than to wait for the last minute and overspend!

I also started the Christmas shopping for my kids months in advance. I once got an awesome remote control car for Jacob (I think he was about 8) that had an original price tag of over $60 for only $15. Granted, that meant that I had to hide it for 9-10 months, but it was well worth it. My only problem was: where to keep everything, and remembering that I'd bought it!

I still Stash today. I'm already done Christmas shopping for Mary. And I hit Kohl's 90% off racks today and picked up a couple of other Christmas gifts. I'm not sure who they're for yet, but it will all work out. And just think of the money I've saved!! Between Mary's Stash, and the things I bought today, I've saved close to $200!! (I'll have to make sure Joe reads this when he starts complaining about how much I spend on Christmas!)

I have to redeem myself here by saying that I don't just buy randomly, and I really don't go overboard. It's not like I have to have an outside storage unit to hide everything. And I don't have things stashed for Chrismas 2012!! Just one year at a time. I think it helps my budget to spread the cost out over an entire year instead of just the month of December. And because December in my house includes two birthdays I need all the help I can get!

So if anyone knows of any great deals out there, send them my way! After all, there are only 247 days until Christmas!

3 comments:

Annemarie said...

I was one of the VERY lucky recipients of your mother's presents!! Dresses, bows, even a Madam Alexander baby doll!

diane said...

I must have learned this from your Mom too. I have a closet, maybe two stashed with gifts. My daughter is as I write this, getting something out of the gift stash to give her friend for her birthday. I find it harder to buy ahead as my kids are older. Their tastes change so quickly.

The Family Rasheed said...

I love this idea. I have tried it before, but I get so excited about the gift that I can't wait for the holiday to come and I give it out early.