CS Lewis Quotes

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Virtual Friends.....


So, my husband and two of my boys were at a church meeting tonight. Jacob (having had surgery on his collarbone yesterday) was sleeping, and Mary was playing video games. It was a nice peaceful evening, the computer was available, so I decided to catch up on some blog reading.

I was in the middle of this blog, when my husband and boys walked in from their meeting. My husband looks at the blog and says: "So, who's that?" To which I replied, "Um...... well..... I don't actually know her, but her name is Celia and she has 4 kids (I named them all) and this is her husband, Carl. But it's okay for me to read her blog because she's the friend of a friend so she's kind of my friend too!"

It sounded lame, even as I said it. Joe just shook his head and walked away. I shouted after him..."It's okay to have 'virtual friends', you know! It's not like I don't have any 'real life' friends!"

So, now I've decided that I need to come up with cover stories for all those blogs I read. For instance....Celia and I have been best friends since college (never mind that Celia was probably 8 year old when I was in college!) I could say something like "Oh, come on honey, don't tell me that you don't remember Celia! She was in our Business Law class!"

Other 'virtual friends' could be:
--'an old friend from high school'
--'she was in my ward growing up'
--'I met her when I served at Girl's Camp that one year'
--'oh, her? She in the other ward'
--'my mom's cousin's daughter'

You can see that I obviously need help here.....

.......your assignment??

Plausible cover stories. I'll be waiting.

4 comments:

diane said...

Just tell him that you are in the blogging mafia and you can't tell him or you'll have to kill him.

Works for me.

Liz said...

Thanks, Diane! I love it!

Jenna said...

You could just say, "It's somebody that Jenna (or Diane or ...) knows..."

Travelin'Oma said...

Blogging is service. You're in the service of your fellow women.