CS Lewis Quotes

Monday, July 20, 2009

Just for a Moment.......

It was Friday. But it could have been any one of a hundred Saturdays from my childhood.

The clink of the coins in the change machine.

The swish of the water as it filled the washers.

The hum of the dryers.

The warm summer breeze flowing through the doors flung wide, front and back.

The stained, worn linoleum.

The tired vending machine.

The easy conversation of strangers.

Folding clothes.

Matching socks.

Feeding quarters into machines hungry for more.

Watching the wash spin....first in the washer, with suds so thick I can hardly see anything else. Then in the dryer, fresh and clean.


The dryer beeps, signaling the end of the cycle. My load is done. Still damp, but dry enough to fold and take home. Yet, the air is thick with the memories of those childhood Saturdays. I'm not ready to leave yet. So I feed another quarter into the dryer, and settle back......while the world goes on without me........just for a moment.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Total flashback

Jenna said...

I am glad that someone has positive laundromat memories. Not me. Very poetic words though!