CS Lewis Quotes

Monday, January 26, 2009

Baby Shower Blues......


I went to a Baby Shower a week or so ago. I feel like I need to say something about baby showers, but I don't want to hurt any feelings, so let me just start by saying a great time was had by all.

What I'm wondering is......what happened to the days of gathering in someone's home, playing silly games, having cake and punch, and just visiting with one another? This shower was held at a restaurant. It seems to be a growing trend. At least in my ward (read: congregation) I have been to at least three baby showers, one birthday party, and one going away party that have been held at restaurants. While they are fun, they tend to be expensive. Mary came with me to the latest shower, so I ended up paying for two dinners instead of just one. With tip, it ended up costing $36. That, plus the cost of a gift, and we're looking at some serious budget concerns.

I understand that it's inconvenient to have 25-30 people in your home, and maybe that's why people are choosing to do it this way. Or maybe it's the headache of organizing, planning, set-up, and clean-up. Either way, I think I'll pass on the next 'outing'. I'll still get a gift for the mom-to-be, birthday boy, or friend that's moving far away.....but I think I'll just deliver it in person.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Here! Here! I second that opinion.

Annemarie said...

That is ridiculous.

diane said...

That trend has not hit here. Let's hope it doesn't.